I know it's not the ideal thing to do, but isn't it possible to have two connectors on one cat 5 cable? I'm guessing yes being that a single connector only uses half the wires. And if you happen to know what the wiring scheme is, I would be extremely grateful!
Thank you, Sharon
1. RE: 2 connections on one cat 5 cable? lbyard Jul-17-01 07:12 PM In response to message 0
I wouldn't even attempt it and do not think it will work well, if at all. The noise immunity/cancellation of cat 5 cable is dependent on the geometric shape of the cable. If you split the two pairs needed for a second connector, you will disturb that geometry. Also, crosstalk between the two sets of pairs could be excessive. Finally, to prevent near-end crosstalk, the ends of the cable should not be untwisted for more than 1/2 inch. Wiring for two of the pairs is at http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm. Wiring for the other two, if you are determined, can be deduced from it. Using one connector at each end and using all pairs, may work, as that is what they do with some other network standards (e.g., 1000BASET). Larry
2. RE: 2 connections on one cat 5 cable? sharono Jul-17-01 07:20 PM In response to message 1
Thank you very much for your prompt response. I wasn't sure and you were a great help.
4. RE: 2 connections on one cat 5 cable? bohrmannj Jul-18-01 03:00 PM In response to message 0
We actually have two PC's on one run at my office. It was accomplished simply using an RJ-45 splitter. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that our network is only 10 Mb/s. On a higher speed network, this type of setup may create too much traffic.
6. RE: 2 connections on one cat 5 cable? lbyard Jul-18-01 06:40 PM In response to message 4
7. RE: 2 connections on one cat 5 cable? sharono Jul-18-01 07:20 PM In response to message 6
You rock! You have been a tremendous help. I have to say that I was referred to your site just last week and I've received faster and more reliable information that most of the other sites. I appreciate everyone's input and I hope I can return the favor.
Thank you! Sharon
8. RE: 2 connections on one cat 5 cable? lbyard Jul-18-01 08:43 PM In response to message 7