just found this site...am having major difficulties setting up
my wireless network. I know a LITTLE about networks, not a lot..
Here is my hardware configuration:
SMC Barricade Wireless Router
Orinoco Silver PC cards for 2 laptops
Orinoco Silver USB adapter for 1 desktop
Orinoco ISA adapter and a PC card for 1 desktop
all machines running Windows XP
cable internet provider is RCN (I'm in the Boston area).
Here's the problem:
I can connect sometimes, but often lose the connection. I think it's
something in the way I have configured things.
a few questions:
1. in the SMC setup, there is a place to Clone the MAC address. Should I do this? I put in the MAC address of the router. Originally I clicked on Clone (which seemed to work for a while), but the WAN MAC address that then showed up was not the MAC address for the router or for my cable modem. What should it be?
2. RCN doesn't say anything about a host name, which is another thing in the setup for the router. I left it blank. Any ideas about this?
3. I disabled encryption and the firewall thinking it might be easier to just get the thing working without those things set. Any comments?
4. Can I go back and forth between using my wireless PC card and my
other network card (directly connected to the cable modem), or will that screw up the MAC address thing. I've had to call RCN a few times to get them to reset stuff, but I really don't quite understand why.
5. This may be a total coincidence, but I thought I'd mention it. Two times that I lost the connection were: 1 - when I tried to connect to AOL (which I won't do again) - do you think it could mess things up?
2 - after I mapped a drive to a machine in my office.
Thanks for any advice. I am pulling my hair out over here!!!!!