LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-02 AT 03:44 PM (EDT)
NVIDIA Unveils the nForce2 Family of Platform Processors (http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=NVDA&script=410&layout=9&item_id=315272). Designed for PCs and motherboards using AMD Athlon XP and Duron processors, NVIDIA nForce2 Platform Processors utilize HyperTransport... The nForce2 SPP Platform Processors feature the industry's only dual DDR400 memory subsystem...
NVIDIA and Shuttle Computer Open the Digital Media Gateway (http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=NVDA&script=410&layout=9&item_id=315290) . Shuttle is currently developing small form factor PCs using NVIDIA's nForce2...
· Built-in dual networking controllers
· Up to six high-speed USB 2.0 ports
· Up to three Firewire (IEEE1394a) ports
· DolbyDigital 5.1 real-time-encoded surround sound with S/PDIF-out audio for home theater audio
· Video Processing Engine for MPEG2 and DVD playback
· TV-encoder and HDTV processor for optimal visual quality
· Support for multiple displays, including flat panels, TVs and CRTs
· Integrated graphics based on NVIDIA's GeForce4 MX
I, for one am not going to get all "wrapped around the axle" with the nVIDIA hype on the nForce 2 chipset, as, admittedly, I did with the first nVIDIA motherboard chipset (C:\My Documents\My Webs\duxcw\digest\guides\mb_chip\nforce\1.htm). And wait and wait through delay after delay for it to appear in products that one can buy. And then be disappointed by the actual product. I am not going to bother even looking hard at the chipset, and I am certainly not going to waste my time writing an article on it, until I have product in hand. So, this is about it from here on this subject until it is something other than "vaporware." Products with the chipset are supposed to ship in September. My guess, based on past experience, is sometime next year? In fact, I am getting rather bored with all of the unwarranted motherboard, chipset, and processor "latest and greatest" (C:\My Documents\My Webs\duxcw\digest\editorial\greatest.htm) hype/promotion/excitement that has been plaguing the Internet for the last couple of years or so...