The solution to this problem was to simply disable user profiles. This way all resolutions and colour depths are the same, thus able to be changed.
1. Restart the computer. At the windows logon screen, click Cancel.
2. Click "Start", point to "settings", click "Control panel", and then double-click "Passwords".
3. On the "User Profiles" tab, click "All users of the same preferences and desktop", and then click "ok."
4. When you are prompted to restart the computer, do so.
5. once the copmputer has finished loading up you will then be able to change the display settings as normal. Start>Settings>Control Panel>Display>Settings Tab.