i just recently built my first amd athlon t-bird computer = ) the only problem is that when i change my cpu speed to 1.4, my comp shuts down after a few minutes i turn it on. however when i change it to the lower 1050 hertz, it works alright. i'm assuming its either i need another fan or need to change the voltage ... or could it be something else? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx.
1. RE: trouble changing cpu speed lbyard Aug-30-01 09:43 PM In response to message 0
Waht did you build it with besides 1.4 gig Athlon? How hot is the CPU getting? Larry
2. RE: trouble changing cpu speed misty Aug-31-01 08:06 AM In response to message 1
- asus a7m266 fsb266 motherboard - volcano II heatsink is this all u needed? if not then i also installed ... - 16x dvd - 30G hard drive - ddr 256M - modem - live value - asus v7700 32M GF2GTS - ethernet - usb - tv tuner i switched to 1.4 and it got to about 46.5 degrees C. i switched back when it got that high cuz i assumed that wasn't good. if i switch to 1.050, it wouldn't go higher than 46.5. thanx for helping a rookie larry = )
3. RE: trouble changing cpu speed lbyard Aug-31-01 02:31 PM In response to message 2
The temperatures look OK, but I would let it sit for about ½ hour at 1 GHz and check it again. What are you using for a case and power supply? Larry
4. RE: trouble changing cpu speed misty Aug-31-01 10:56 PM In response to message 3
996 ATX w/ 300W power supply ...
5. RE: trouble changing cpu speed lbyard Sep-02-01 03:48 PM In response to message 4
What is the CPU temp a 1 gig after 1/2 hour of use? The symptoms indicate are that the CPU is getting too hot, but it could be a defective motherboard or memory. Larry
6. RE: trouble changing cpu speed deerslayer Sep-04-01 05:42 PM In response to message 5
hi, is this a 1.4 Tbird 266 fsb cpu? If so, is there any thermal paste under the HSF? and what about case cooling. With all my fans off mine gets warm.
7. RE: trouble changing cpu speed misty Sep-05-01 04:08 AM In response to message 6
yeah, that's what mine is ... sorry, but what's an hsf? ...
larry ... with my case open, my comp gets to 51 degrees C in a half hour. so i guess i better get more fans ...
8. RE: trouble changing cpu speed misty Sep-05-01 04:11 AM In response to message 6
actually i checked again and it went down to 44 with the case open ... whoops
9. RE: trouble changing cpu speed deerslayer Sep-05-01 02:35 PM In response to message 8
HSF= heat sink fan. my 1.4 is 34-35 full load temps, 30 idle. I use the thermalright sk-6 with artic silver thermal paste.
10. RE: trouble changing cpu speed lbyard Sep-05-01 04:42 PM In response to message 9
Those are excellent (and preferred) numbers! In the lower to mid 40's is OK for the average computer that is not overclocked. Larry
11. RE: trouble changing cpu speed deerslayer Sep-06-01 04:20 PM In response to message 10
Well you seen my crazy case Larry turning all fans off but cpu and gpu it is 43 @ load.
13. RE: trouble changing cpu speed lbyard Sep-06-01 05:02 PM In response to message 11
Yes, the one that has to be tied to the floor so it doesn't fly out the window. Kidding... Larry