[ Archive Contents | Old Forum | New Forum ]

New Win98 Install and problems with secondary IDE/cdrom

email: brucet@geocast.net
Date: 20 Oct 1999
Time: 15:04:14
Remote Name: 209.102.109.253

Comments

I have the following config

Asus P3B-F motherboard PII-350 128MB ECC SDRAM (1 module) Adaptec 2940U SCSI c: 2GB SCSI HD <= (Boot drive) d: 4.5GB SCSI HD e: 13.5GB Maxtor IDE HD f: 8x Mitshitu 583 (?) IDE cdrom Sound Blaster 32PnP (ISA) Matrox Millenium 3COM 905B Ethernet 10/100 standard 3.5" floppy

I think that covers it.

The problem. When installing Win98, windows seems to hose the secondary IDE controller thus causes grief for the final stages of install. It happens at the first moment it appears to reboot into "normal windows" mode. The reboot prior to allowing the user to enter a user name and password. I've done the cdrom copy to HD and finished the install but I can't seem to get the secondary IDE controller to work. The system device manager gives a code-10 error and says someting about device not working or drivers not fully installed. But the same drivers as my other Win98 machine appear to be installed. I've been told that if I use the config.sys/autoexec.bat files I can load the drivers in, but aren't these real mode drivers and not protected? I'd rather avoid those if possible.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for any help. -Bruce

| Home | Reviews | How to | From the Shop | Guides | FAQ | New Forum | Links |
|
ProductsServices | News | About | Advertising | Contact |
| Privacy Statement | Location |