Site Search

Site Info

Home » Forums » Forum Archives » Networking and Internet Sharing » Topic # 118

Cable Modem wiring requirement.
marty1mc Jun-27-00 08:17 PM
I am having a cable modem installed in my house, however, I need to pull cable to the room from the entrance to my house. Is RG-6 the correct cable to pull? My house is wired with rg-58 for my cable tv system now. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks Marty

1. RE: Cable Modem wiring requirement.
lbyard Jun-28-00 01:56 PM
In response to message 0
RG-6 cable has a characteristic impedance of 75 ohms. It is the best choice for longer distances and that is why the cable companies use it. All of my cable MODEM wiring, etc. at work is RG-6. RG-59 also has a characteristic impedance of 75 ohms. It costs less and will work in most home installations. My house is wired with RG-59. RG 58 has a characteristic impedance of 50 ohms. It (stranded core RG-58/AU, to be precise) is used for older thinwire Ethernets and is not compatible with RG-6 and RG-59. The mismatch in impedance between the cable and the device interfaces (TV, cable MODEM) will produce standing waves in the coaxial transmission line, which will effectively attenuate the signal. Look at the cable. The type of cable should be printed on it. Larry

| Home | Guides | How to | Reviews | Online Store | FAQ | Forums | Forum Archives |
| Links | News | Newsletter | About Dux | Advertising | Contact Info | Privacy |