Site Search

Site Info

Home » Forums » Forum Archives » Networking and Internet Sharing » Topic # 1325

Internet Sharing, network cable question
preston181 Oct-24-01 02:59 AM
Ok, I figured out that 2 computers can share an internet connection over a regular phone line using network cards and the ICS Component. So, my question is, where can I buy some cable long enough to run between my network cards, and more importantly, how much is it? I'm going to need a good 30 to 50 ft of cable.

1. RE: Internet Sharing, network cable question
lbyard Oct-24-01 07:37 PM
In response to message 0
>"...over a regular phone line using network cards..."

Not unless the network cards are phoneline network cards (e.g., http://duxcw.com/digest/Reviews/Network/dlink/dhn910/dhn910.htm). The best way to do it is with 100BASE-TX network adapters and a CAT 5 crossover cable (http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/net2pc/hardware.htm and http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable6.htm). It can be done with a hub or switch (http://duxcw.com/faq/network/hubsw.htm) and two CAT 5 straight-thru cables. If you have or are planning a broadband cable MODEM or DSL Internet connection, the best way to do it is with a router instead of ICS (http://duxcw.com/faq/ics/waysshare.htm , http://duxcw.com/faq/ics/diffrout.htm). Crossover cables are widely available. Search the Internet. If made locally, be sure they test it (http://duxcw.com/faq/network/catest.htm). Faulty cables, etc. cause 70% of network problems. Defective crossover cables made by people who donít know how to make them, are made from the wrong components, or are not tested before delivery to the end user are the subjects of many posts in this forum. I can make one for you if at a reasonable price plus S&H if you canít find one. Larry

| Home | Guides | How to | Reviews | Online Store | FAQ | Forums | Forum Archives |
| Links | News | Newsletter | About Dux | Advertising | Contact Info | Privacy |