HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN
Last updated: 4/10/99
So, you bought an Epox
MVP3G-M Super7 Motherboard, got a bargain on a AMD 400 Mhz K6-2
CPU, and you are sure you have purchased some quality memory, and you
are ready to start putting all of your hard earned goodies into an AOpen
HX45 case. But, you have never built a computer before. Well,
here's is how to do it by the numbers...
I hope this check-off list (and comments) is of value to
more experienced computer builders, as well. Although it is based on
one specific set of components, it should provide a good basis for building
any Socket 7 computer.
- AOpen HX45 Computer Case
- Epox MVP3G-E Super7 ATX motherboard
- 400 Mhz AMD K6-2 processor
- AOpen 64 Mbyte, 100 Mhz, 8 ns, PC-100, 168-pin
Part # 73.08864.P8R (which is made for AOpen by Micron)
- PentAlpha 3-wire, oversize, ball-bearing CPU fan
- Focus 2001W Keyboard
- Logitech M-S34 2-button PS/2 mouse
- Four 9-inch cable-ties (also known as zip-ties) Garbage
bag twisties will do, but won't look as good.
- AOpen PG 128 display adapter
- AOpen 7254e 15" SVGA monitor
- Panasonic 3 1/2" 1.44 MByte floppy drive
- Western Digital AC26400 6.4 GByte, UDMA, EIDE hard disk
- Acer 640A 40X CD-ROM drive
- Additional IDE cable
- AOpen FX-3D Plus ISA PnP Sound Board
- MLi 699 Speakers
- AOpen FM56-P PnP PCI V.90/K56Flex 56K MODEM
- Windows 98
1) If you obtain the above parts, 2) if they are all
good (they usually are), and 3) if you follow my check-off list, you
should be able to build a professional-looking, quality computer with
the least amount of trouble. This particular computer went together
and ran the first time without any glitches or hassle.
- Phillips head screwdriver
- Socket driver
- Anti-static wrist strap
- Anti-static mats
- Forceps (handy for moving jumpers)
the latest motherboard software. You will need the following
- Latest Motherboard BIOS and Award Flash Utility. Download
from EpoX. Note the date
of the BIOS and the check sum. Print a copy of the BIOS installation
- VIA IRQ Routing Miniport Driver from VIA.
- VIA MPC AGP Driver from VIA.
- VIA MPC USB Filter VIA.
- Epox/Highpoint IDE Driver from EpoX
Although the software is on the CD which accompanies
the motherboard; it is best to download the most recent versions. This
is best done before building the computer, but can be done right after
installing Windows, the MODEM, and configuring the computer for the Internet.
[ Top | Contents | Next
- Setup the Chassis ]